Sunday, November 11, 2007

An Introduction

Well, this is my first blog about knitting.

I guess I'll start with the name of the blog. Why the name "Cave of the Knitting Bear"? Well, since I am married to someone with a bear-like name, we have always been referred to as "Mr. & Mrs. Bear". So, I like to think of knitting at home as being a little like a bear in a cave knitting.

Not that I really live in a cave! Of course, bears live in dens. The den in our home is really a home office, so I would not knit there. I feel it's best to keep such things separate - if I were to start knitting at work, it could be a knotty experience!

The second thing I will say is that I have knit for just about 35 years. I can't believe it's been that long. The truth be told, I knit off and on, and really picked it up again near the end of my doctoral program. I continued knitting during a postdoc, and still do so. Some weeks it is harder to escape to the cave to knit, but I try to get in a row a week anyway.

The final thing I will say is that I hope Stephen Colbert realizes that knitting bears are pretty harmless :)

No comments: